Specialty: Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center—Cincinnati, Ohio
- Pediatrics, University of Minnesota—Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Emory University School of Medicine—Atlanta, Georgia
- Illinois Wesleyan University—Bloomington, Illinois
- Temperature management as a means of optimizing the outcome of critically ill children.
- Process improvement and infection prevention.
- Principle Investigator at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota for the following clinical trials:
- Therapeutic Hypothermia After Pediatric Cardiac Arrest (THAPCA, www.thapca.org)
- Pediatric Sepsis Biomarker Risk Model (PERSEVERE)
- Prevalence of Acute critical Neurological disease in children: a Global Epidemiological Assessment (PANGEA, www.pangeastudy.com)
- Prophylaxis Against Thrombosis Practice (PROTRACT)
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Nowak JE, Harmon K, Caldwell CC, Wong HR. Prophylactic Zinc Supplementation Reduces Bacterial Load and Improves Survival in a Murine Model of Sepsis. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2012; Jul 11 [epub ahead of print].
- Nowak JE, Brilli RJ, Lake MR, et al. Reducing Catheter-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU): The Business Case for Quality Improvement. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2010;11(5):579-87.
- Klein JA, Nowak JE, Sutherell JS, Wheeler DS. Nonsurgical Management of Cardiac Missiles. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2010;26(1):36-8.
- Nowak JE, Wheeler DS, Harmon KK, Wong HR. Admission Chemokine (C-C motif) Ligand 4 Levels Predict Survival in Pediatric Septic Shock. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2010;11(2):213-6.
- Bigham MT, Nowak JE, Wheeler DS. Therapeutic Application of Helium-Oxygen and Mechanical Ventilation in a Child with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and Airway Obstruction. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009;25(7):469-472.
- Nowak JE, Brilli RJ. Pediatric Rapid Response Teams: Is It Time? JAMA. 2007; 298(19) 2311-2312.
Dr. Nowak has lived in various locations in the Midwest and Southeast, but is now a committed Minnesotan, and thus is slowly learning to ice skate, ski, and deny that he is bothered by the cold.